lock directory / wins

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Sep 11 19:26:58 MDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-09-11 at 20:29 +0200, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> > 137 is the nmbd port and I do not run nmbd, in fact I think that you now
> > cannot run the samba & nmbd daemons together.
> >
> > It could be that you are trying to run your s3 server as if it was an NT
> > domain server, if you are, you need to start thinking AD, start by going here:
> >
> > https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_%26_Active_Directory
>
> The WHATHSNEW.txt said:
> There is no NetBIOS browsing support (network neighbourhood) available for the
> AD domain controller.  (Support in nmbd and smbd for classic domains and
> member/standalone servers is unchanged).
>
> That's why I tought why my s4 DC can't provide the network neighbourhood list
> for the network.
>
> So what do I need to get a working network neighbourhood list (with all
> machines from from all subnets) and a working wins server (regardless if it's
> provided by the s4 DC or a s3 member)?

As the domain master browser is the DC, and the DC doesn't support being
a domain master browser, there is no way to do this in the officially
supported configuration.  We just didn't get time to implement the
remaining hooks in the nbt server in 'samba'.

There is a way to disable the nbt server, and enable nmbd, and it will
mostly work, but I'm trying hard to avoid having such a divergence of
different supported, official configurations (as I'll need to support
the result).