lock directory / wins

Marc Muehlfeld Marc.Muehlfeld at medizinische-genetik.de
Tue Sep 11 23:46:48 MDT 2012

Am 12.09.2012 03:26, schrieb Andrew Bartlett:
> There is a way to disable the nbt server, and enable nmbd, and it will
> mostly work, but I'm trying hard to avoid having such a divergence of
> different supported, official configurations (as I'll need to support
> the result).

I understand and respect it fully, that you don't want to support divergences.

Then I'll tell the users later, that they have to abadon the next time on
browsing through the network neighbourhood and have to call '\\servername'
instead, to access unmounted shares. I just thought that maybe there's a way
to get the browsing back by delegating this job to a s3 member server.

Do you have an idea on my 'lock directory' problem, too?

 > 1.) I copy/pasted "lock directory = /usr/var/locks/" to my
 > new smb.conf after migration, what was not wanted. This was
 > the s3 lock directory. Now it is mixed up with the new
 > files. Can I just remove the "lock directory" parameter
 > from smb.conf?
 > Or are this just temporary databases that can get lost?
 >
 > This are the files in /usr/var/locks/ that changed since
 > saturday morning (where I made the switch from s3):
 > secrets.tdb
 > smbXsrv_version_global.tdb
 > gencache_notrans.tdb
 > dbwrap_watchers.tdb
 > notify.tdb
 > notify_index.tdb
 > brlock.tdb
 > printer_list.tdb
 > messages.tdb
 > serverid.tdb
 > smbXsrv_session_global.tdb
 > sessionid.tdb
 > smbXsrv_tcon_global.tdb
 > connections.tdb
 > smbXsrv_open_global.tdb
 > locking.tdb

Can I just remove the "lock directory" parameter, move the listed files to
/usr/local/samba/var/lock/ (I think this is the default location for that,
right) and restart the services?

Regards,
Marc

--
Marc Muehlfeld (IT-Leiter)
Zentrum fuer Humangenetik und Laboratoriumsmedizin