lock directory / wins

Rowland Penny repenny at f2s.com
Tue Sep 11 11:57:31 MDT 2012

On 11/09/12 18:12, Marc Muehlfeld wrote:
> Hello,
>
> last weekend I switched our production environment from s3 to s4
> beta8. And it runs really good during the last two days. Good work and
> many thanks!
>

> Today I saw two things, where I need a bit help:
>
> 1.) I copy/pasted "lock directory = /usr/var/locks/" to my new
> smb.conf after migration, what was not wanted. This was the s3 lock
> directory. Now it is mixed up with the new files. Can I just remove
> the "lock directory" parameter from smb.conf? But where are this files
> located normally, so I can move them? Or are this just temporary
> databases that can be lost?
>
> This are the files in /usr/var/locks/ that changed since saturday
> morning (where I made the switch from s3):
>   secrets.tdb
>   smbXsrv_version_global.tdb
>   gencache_notrans.tdb
>   dbwrap_watchers.tdb
>   notify.tdb
>   notify_index.tdb
>   brlock.tdb
>   printer_list.tdb
>   messages.tdb
>   serverid.tdb
>   smbXsrv_session_global.tdb
>   sessionid.tdb
>   smbXsrv_tcon_global.tdb
>   connections.tdb
>   smbXsrv_open_global.tdb
>   locking.tdb
>

> 2.) Network neighborhood is on most workstations empty or showing just
> 1-5 computers. The old s3 server was a wins server. When I migrated to
> s4, I setup the browsing functions on an s3 member server:
>         local master = yes
>         domain master = yes
>         preferred master = yes
>         wins support = yes
>         name resolve order = wins host bcast
> But when I start nmbd on this s3 machine, log.nmbd shows "There is
> already a domain master browser at IP 192.168.29.2 for workgroup MUC
> registered on subnet 192.168.29.4." (192.168.29.2 is the host I
> switched to s4 and doesn't run nmbd). I also removed wins.* from the
> s3 lock directory and restarted. But this message always is logged and
> the network neighborhood stays almost empty.
>

> Regards,
> Marc

Hi, As far as I know, smbd is built into the samba daemon, on my samba4
server " netstat -alpn | grep ':137' " shows:

udp        0      0 192.168.0.10:137
0.0.0.0:*                           13822/samba
udp        0      0 192.168.0.255:137
0.0.0.0:*                           13822/samba
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:137
0.0.0.0:*                           13822/samba

137 is the nmbd port and I do not run nmbd, in fact I think that you now
cannot run the samba & nmbd daemons together.

It could be that you are trying to run your s3 server as if it was an NT
domain server, if you are, you need to start thinking AD, start by going
here:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_%26_Active_Directory

Rowland

believed to be clean.