lock directory / wins

Marc Muehlfeld Marc.Muehlfeld at medizinische-genetik.de
Tue Sep 11 11:12:42 MDT 2012

Hello,

last weekend I switched our production environment from s3 to s4 beta8. And it
runs really good during the last two days. Good work and many thanks!

Today I saw two things, where I need a bit help:

1.) I copy/pasted "lock directory = /usr/var/locks/" to my new smb.conf after
migration, what was not wanted. This was the s3 lock directory. Now it is
mixed up with the new files. Can I just remove the "lock directory" parameter
from smb.conf? But where are this files located normally, so I can move them?
Or are this just temporary databases that can be lost?

This are the files in /usr/var/locks/ that changed since saturday morning
(where I made the switch from s3):
   secrets.tdb
   smbXsrv_version_global.tdb
   gencache_notrans.tdb
   dbwrap_watchers.tdb
   notify.tdb
   notify_index.tdb
   brlock.tdb
   printer_list.tdb
   messages.tdb
   serverid.tdb
   smbXsrv_session_global.tdb
   sessionid.tdb
   smbXsrv_tcon_global.tdb
   connections.tdb
   smbXsrv_open_global.tdb
   locking.tdb

2.) Network neighborhood is on most workstations empty or showing just 1-5
computers. The old s3 server was a wins server. When I migrated to s4, I setup
the browsing functions on an s3 member server:
         local master = yes
         domain master = yes
         preferred master = yes
         wins support = yes
         name resolve order = wins host bcast
But when I start nmbd on this s3 machine, log.nmbd shows "There is already a
domain master browser at IP 192.168.29.2 for workgroup MUC registered on
subnet 192.168.29.4." (192.168.29.2 is the host I switched to s4 and doesn't
run nmbd). I also removed wins.* from the s3 lock directory and restarted. But
this message always is logged and the network neighborhood stays almost empty.

Regards,
Marc

--
Marc Muehlfeld (IT-Leiter)
Zentrum fuer Humangenetik und Laboratoriumsmedizin