Removing the non-manpage documentation (was Re: Building manpages with waf.)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Sep 6 20:06:49 MDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-09-06 at 16:35 +0200, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've worked on getting the manpages built with waf, so that they are part of
> make and don't need an extra build. I've created a branch and it is already
> working just fine. I would like to push them and get rid of the HOWTO
> collection. The collection is still available online but pretty outdated and
> updated at all.
>
> https://git.samba.org/?p=asn/samba.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/s3-waf
>
> The last patch can still be removed if someone wants to keep the files in the
> tree.

Perhaps a compromise (to keep us moving) might be to get the manpages
in, and then blacklist the other docs from the tarball?

Given the massive effort Jelmer and John put into the docs I would like
to hear from them, but I agree a wiki is a better choice.  There have
been no substantive changes since 2008 (and I didn't look before the
docs-xml move).

One approach would be to remove them, but if we choose to maintain any
in GIT (for authorship history), to branch before that commit to a docs
branch or tree.  The docs have no close correlation with versions anyway
(they are not updated well enough for that), but this would spell a
death-knell for any 'drive by' updates when other features are changed.