RPC Error - Samba 4

Ryan Whelan rcwhelan at gmail.com
Fri May 25 13:42:39 MDT 2012

I'm not sure if this is correct place for this- if not, forgive me.

I followed the how-to to setup samba 4 (Version 4.0.0alpha22-GIT-e17fa58)
as a PDC.  I added a windows XP machine to the domain and created a share
on the new PDC machine (share called C$ if that matters).

On the XP client, i right click on "My Computer" and click on "Mange".
When the MMC opens, I right click on the top of the tree, and select
"Connect to another computer".  In the field, I type in the hostname of the
new PDC and it connects immediately.

When I expand "System Tools" -> "Shared Folders" and select "Shares" it
hands for a long time.  Eventually I get an error - "Error 1723: the RPC
server is too busy to complete this operation".  When I click OK on the
error window, the shares show up in the MMC just fine and i am able to
adjust permissions etc.

Looking at the log.smbd, it is just flooded with the same error.
"[2012/05/25 15:09:45.774726,  0]
../source3/rpc_server/rpc_ncacn_np.c:629(make_external_rpc_pipe_p)
tstream_npa_connect_recv  to /usr/local/samba/var/run/ncalrpc/np for pipe
MacFile and user SLAM\Administrator failed: No such file or directory". A
longer sample if helpful is here: http://pastebin.com/cBUD3wiu

The log file was empty when i started samba- but the above error is in the
log so many times, the file is over 2.5Mb after it finally errors out.

Is this a misconfiguration on my part?  The path
/usr/local/samba/var/run/ncalrpc/np DOES exist and is a dir.  It is full of
socket files.