Samba4 s3fs: Can not use vfs_posix_eadb without posix:eadb set

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Fri May 25 02:55:09 MDT 2012

On 25/05/12 10:16, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-05-25 at 09:50 +0200, steve wrote:
>> Hi everyone
>>

>> I have a share like this:
>> [reports]
>>           path = /data/reports
>>           read only = No
>>           vfs objects = posix_eadb
>>
>> How do I set
>>    posix:eadb
>
> You should not use this parameter outside testing.  the posix_eadb
> module and posix:eadb is for systems that have no working file system
> xattr access.  You need to fix that.

Hi

This is looking like bugzilla 8938 again.

  We have xattr. The share is mounted:
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Maxtor_6V200E0_V40FV13G-part2 /
ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 1

Without  vfs objects = posix_eadb the posix acls, permissions and
ownerships we set on the underlying ext4 file system do not work under s3fs.

posix_eadb does it, is too slow to be workable and you have told us not
to use it outside testing. Three very good reasons.

ntvfs does it too unless we touch the security tab in windows, whereupon
the acls are destroyed.

Would it be possible to have an acl/ownership/permissions mapping s3fs
to posix like we have currently with smbd in Samba3 (without all the
create mask=0770 smb.conf stuff)?

Cheers,
Steve