Preperation for Samba 4.0 beta1!

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Thu May 24 17:34:32 MDT 2012

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-05-24 at 11:44 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> >
> > In case I'm being too much of a dick here (sorry), I just want
> > to say if you want to call it the final alpha I have no objections
> > to releasing tomorrow.
> >
> > I just want a beta to actually *mean* something.
>
> I've looked back, and I agree, I've normally given over a weeks notice
> in the past, which has usually stretched to month by the time the lever
> is pulled.
>
> In this case, we have been talking about what should be in the beta for
> over a month now, and had discussed it in terms of 'once the ACL patches
> are in and s3fs is the default' for quite some time.  We have also been
> talking about what the beta means - and that it is the transition to
> s3fs as the default.  These conditions are now met.

It is right that we have been talking about doing the beta more
concretely now. But indeed the concrete day was short notice.
And yes, we had agreed to release it under the process as the
alphas. It was in fact me who had proposed to release the Beta
in May (or early June). But give the current discussion, we
should not force the Beta today. If Andrew offers to cut another
(final!) alpha today, that is great. For the Beta, we should
still go for a close date. Let's get more specific. (It also gives
our users the chance to get more excited about the dooming beta.  ;-)

Proposal 1: We could aim for releasing Beta on May 31 (Thursday).

Proposal 2: If this is inconvenient for some reason, I propose a
date the week after that (since I'll be busy on Friday June 1),
say June 4 (Tuesday).

Of course the date is rough, since we didn't branch yet, so
there is autobuild to overcome for each push.

Opinions?

I guess if Andrew's time is shorter starting next week, we will find a
way for someone to help technically.

Cheers - Michael