Preperation for Samba 4.0 beta1!

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at
Thu May 24 16:46:28 MDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-05-24 at 11:44 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 11:02:25AM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 09:10:36PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > > On Thu, 2012-05-24 at 12:30 +0200, Kai Blin wrote:
> > > 
> > > > Would it have hurt anybody to give a one-week warning instead of "I'll
> > > > cut the beta tomorrow"? 
> > > 
> > > Yes, it does hurt actually, because as soon as we start waiting for one
> > > more feature, we start stalling releases.  If we wait another week, and
> > > then we wait a bit longer for ntdb to settle in, then we miss May
> > > totally.  Another beta will be around soon enough - just let me know as
> > > soon as you have a feature you would like released, and I'll take that
> > > as encouragement to turn the crank again!
> > 
> > If beta is to mean something, I think we need a weeks notice for
> > everyone involved to review and at least sign off on things that
> > aren't going to be addressed for the beta. 1 day isn't enough
> > for that.
> > 
> > I'm sorry you're busy next week (it's a holiday Monday here in
> > the US too) but that's not an excuse to release in such a rush.
> In case I'm being too much of a dick here (sorry), I just want
> to say if you want to call it the final alpha I have no objections
> to releasing tomorrow.
> I just want a beta to actually *mean* something.

I've looked back, and I agree, I've normally given over a weeks notice
in the past, which has usually stretched to month by the time the lever
is pulled. 

In this case, we have been talking about what should be in the beta for
over a month now, and had discussed it in terms of 'once the ACL patches
are in and s3fs is the default' for quite some time.  We have also been
talking about what the beta means - and that it is the transition to
s3fs as the default.  These conditions are now met.

That said, despite it being just the first beta (we also changed from TP
to alpha for similarly small reasons), and that I thought we had agreed
to release is under the same process as alpha releases, clearly folks
are uncomfortable with the current state of the tree.  

I'll cut an alpha as proposed today, and a beta a proposed by Micheal -
time and objections permitting, by or soon after the end of the month.
(This provides the one week notice requested). 

Hopefully once we start making beta releases we will realise that they
are not magical, just a way of getting more users a chance to see the
great software we all so passionately work on. 

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                      
Authentication Developer, Samba Team 

More information about the samba-technical mailing list