Preperation for Samba 4.0 beta1!

Jeremy Allison jra at
Thu May 24 12:44:26 MDT 2012

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 11:02:25AM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 09:10:36PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > On Thu, 2012-05-24 at 12:30 +0200, Kai Blin wrote:
> > 
> > > Would it have hurt anybody to give a one-week warning instead of "I'll
> > > cut the beta tomorrow"? 
> > 
> > Yes, it does hurt actually, because as soon as we start waiting for one
> > more feature, we start stalling releases.  If we wait another week, and
> > then we wait a bit longer for ntdb to settle in, then we miss May
> > totally.  Another beta will be around soon enough - just let me know as
> > soon as you have a feature you would like released, and I'll take that
> > as encouragement to turn the crank again!
> If beta is to mean something, I think we need a weeks notice for
> everyone involved to review and at least sign off on things that
> aren't going to be addressed for the beta. 1 day isn't enough
> for that.
> I'm sorry you're busy next week (it's a holiday Monday here in
> the US too) but that's not an excuse to release in such a rush.

In case I'm being too much of a dick here (sorry), I just want
to say if you want to call it the final alpha I have no objections
to releasing tomorrow.

I just want a beta to actually *mean* something.


More information about the samba-technical mailing list