Samba4 DNS woes

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Fri May 18 09:50:36 MDT 2012

On 05/18/2012 05:13 PM, Mike Howard wrote:
> On 18/05/2012 09:56, Kai Blin wrote:
>> On 2012-05-16 16:27, Mike Howard wrote:
>>
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>>> I therefore thought I'd give the internal dns server a bash and I was
>>> rather pleased to find that it seemed to work, in that the samba dns
>>> server updated itself with the first linux client I joined to the
>>> domain.
Same here. The internal dns works fine. It doesn' t when you join a
linux client using the bind dlz backend. There is always a dns failure
error immediately after the join.
This sounds a bit like:
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2012-April/082527.html

We solved/worked around it by only specifying one forwarder in smb.conf
after Kai explained that you can in fact only have one.

>>> Unfortunately, after a short while (5-10 mins or so) it all just
>>> stopped working (the dns aspect that is).
>> This probably is some issue with the way we forward requests we don't
>> know about to the forwarder. Improving this code is on my todo list, but
>> I didn't get around to do this properly yet. Could you get me a
>> wireshark trace of the DNS requests that happen right before DNS stalls?
(Our wireshark of the same is here:
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2012-April/082860.html)

> On a slightly different note, the lack of reverse dns causes some
> minor issues, so if I create a reverse zone using samba-tool, can I
> expect the internal server to populate it automatically when
> populating the forward zone?
The automatic fwd zone entry would be a big +1 here.

HTH and hope I'm not hijacking the thread:/
Cheers,
Steve