Samba4 DNS woes

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Fri May 18 02:56:43 MDT 2012

On 2012-05-16 16:27, Mike Howard wrote:

Hi Mike,

> I therefore thought I'd give the internal dns server a bash and I was
> rather pleased to find that it seemed to work, in that the samba dns
> server updated itself with the first linux client I joined to the
> domain. Unfortunately, after a short while (5-10 mins or so) it all just
> stopped working (the dns aspect that is). No errors to the log, nothing,
> just no response to dns requests. I'm assuming that this is obviously
> not normal so has anybody come across this behaviour?

This probably is some issue with the way we forward requests we don't
know about to the forwarder. Improving this code is on my todo list, but
I didn't get around to do this properly yet. Could you get me a
wireshark trace of the DNS requests that happen right before DNS stalls?

Cheers,
Kai

--
Kai Blin