Samba4 DNS woes

Mike Howard mike at dewberryfields.co.uk
Wed May 16 08:27:41 MDT 2012

After a break of a few months I'm testing samba4 again, particularly the
DNS side of things. Using the latest source fron git, bind 9.9 and dlz
nothing seems to have changed much (though it may well have done under
the bonnet) in that dynamic updates still doesn't appear to work for
linux clients.

I therefore thought I'd give the internal dns server a bash and I was
rather pleased to find that it seemed to work, in that the samba dns
server updated itself with the first linux client I joined to the
domain. Unfortunately, after a short while (5-10 mins or so) it all just
stopped working (the dns aspect that is). No errors to the log, nothing,
just no response to dns requests. I'm assuming that this is obviously
not normal so has anybody come across this behaviour?

Cheers,
Mike.
--
Any question is easy if you know the answer!