missing /usr/local/samba/private/dns

Daniele Dario d.dario76 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 01:40:38 MDT 2012

Hi Amitay,

On Tue, 2012-03-13 at 12:13 +1100, Amitay Isaacs wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Greg Dickie <greg at justaguy.ca> wrote:
> >
> > Sounds great. Totally ready to be the guinea pig, just let me know what
> > you need. One small question though. Is the ultimate goal to use a
> > builtin DNS server? I thought this bind9 implementation was pretty cool.
> > Is it missing anything that's required?
> >
> > Thanks for the quick response guys,
> > Greg
>
> I have updated samba_upgradedns script now to handle upgrading dns
> provision even after domain join. The new code is in my dns-wip
> branch.
>
>   git://git.samba.org/amitay/samba.git
>
> You can run samba_upgradedns multiple times without any side effects.
> Let me know if that works for you.
>
> The ultimate goal is to use built-in dns server, so that samba does
> not have to depend on external programs (BIND) for running. For time
> being, BIND9 option is supported till built-in dns server becomes
> fully operational.
>
> Amitay.

do you mean that is possible to use upgradedns to provision the dns
partitions on a samba4 DC already joined to a domain?

If I catched I will use it on my secondary DC (primary is also samba4)
to have also a secondary DNS. Does it also start replication of the dns
partitions between the DCs?

If yes, which is the best way to proceed?
My idea is to upgrade secondary DC to latest git source, pull your
branch to obtain upgradedns than run it from the secondary DC.

Regards,
Daniele.