missing /usr/local/samba/private/dns

Amitay Isaacs amitay at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 03:03:00 MDT 2012

Hi Daniele,

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 6:40 PM, Daniele Dario <d.dario76 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Amitay,
>
> On Tue, 2012-03-13 at 12:13 +1100, Amitay Isaacs wrote:
>> Hi Greg,
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 2:45 PM, Greg Dickie <greg at justaguy.ca> wrote:
>> >
>> > Sounds great. Totally ready to be the guinea pig, just let me know what
>> > you need. One small question though. Is the ultimate goal to use a
>> > builtin DNS server? I thought this bind9 implementation was pretty cool.
>> > Is it missing anything that's required?
>> >
>> > Thanks for the quick response guys,
>> > Greg
>>
>> I have updated samba_upgradedns script now to handle upgrading dns
>> provision even after domain join. The new code is in my dns-wip
>> branch.
>>
>>   git://git.samba.org/amitay/samba.git
>>
>> You can run samba_upgradedns multiple times without any side effects.
>> Let me know if that works for you.
>>
>> The ultimate goal is to use built-in dns server, so that samba does
>> not have to depend on external programs (BIND) for running. For time
>> being, BIND9 option is supported till built-in dns server becomes
>> fully operational.
>>
>> Amitay.
>
> do you mean that is possible to use upgradedns to provision the dns
> partitions on a samba4 DC already joined to a domain?

Yes, that's correct. You can run samba_upgradedns on any provision and
it should upgrade it to use AD based backend.

> If I catched I will use it on my secondary DC (primary is also samba4)
> to have also a secondary DNS. Does it also start replication of the dns
> partitions between the DCs?

DNS partitions do get replicated, but you might have to restart the
secondary DC to get them correctly replicating. There is an issue
regarding msDs-hasMasterNCs attribute, which has yet to be resolved. I
haven't tried to set up a DNS server on a secondary DC using
replicated DNS as yet.

> If yes, which is the best way to proceed?
> My idea is to upgrade secondary DC to latest git source, pull your
> branch to obtain upgradedns than run it from the secondary DC.

You can use my dns-wip branch. First make sure that the partitions are
getting replicated. Once you confirm that, run samba_dnsupgrade on the
secondary DC to setup a AD database for BIND in dns/ directory.
Finally run BIND with DLZ on secondary DC. Obviously this hasn't been
tested, so your feedback is most welcome. :)

Amitay.