Samba4 BDC with Samba4 PDC

Daniele Dario d.dario76 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 08:59:23 MDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-06-11 at 13:00 +0100, Mike Howard wrote:
> On 11/06/2012 10:46, Daniele Dario wrote:
> >
> > Hi Mike,
> > it seems to me that basic replication is OK.
> >
> > As I said, when I got it working I manually started replication for DNS
> > partitions:
> >       1. DomainDnsZones from PDC to BDC
> >       2. ForestDnsZones from PDC to BDC
> >       3. wait for a while and check it with samba-tool drs showrepl: you
> >          should see that replication has started (for now only in one
> >          direction) and works fine. To be sure I restarted samba on both
> >          PDC and BDC.
> >               I. it seems to me that at this point you can check the
> >                  zones with samba-tool dns query on BDC. For me
> >                  replication was partial so let me know if you see
> >                  complete records or just names
> >       4. DomainDnsZones from BDC to PDC
> >       5. ForestDnsZones from BDC to PDC
> >       6. wait for a while and check again with samba-tool drs showrepl
> >          (I've restarted again samba on both DCs)
> >
> > If all works fine you can proceed with samba_upgradedns on BDC and see
> > if private/dns partition is created than you can start bind on BDC.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Daniele.
> >

> Well, I finally got the replication to work, in a test virtual
> environment, but like you, I had to manually start the replication of
> the DomainDnsZones & the ForestDnsZones. Also, existing dns records are
> not populated on the secondary DC, only new entries but I guess that
> isn't a big deal.

For me it is: the problem is that if I shut down the PDC, BDC won't be
able to update it's DNS zones because them need to be a full replica and
not a partial one.

>From what Amitay said, for a samba4 BDC in a W2kx environment, DNS zones
are fully replicated while for me not.

Please tell me if for you them are fully replicated and if shutting down
PDC, BDC is still able to work (allow logins, dns updates and so on).

> Now to try on my real network :)
>
> Cheers,
> Mike.

Thanks,