Samba4 BDC with Samba4 PDC

Mike Howard mike at dewberryfields.co.uk
Mon Jun 11 06:00:33 MDT 2012

On 11/06/2012 10:46, Daniele Dario wrote:

> Hi Mike,
> it seems to me that basic replication is OK.
>
> As I said, when I got it working I manually started replication for DNS
> partitions:
>       1. DomainDnsZones from PDC to BDC
>       2. ForestDnsZones from PDC to BDC
>       3. wait for a while and check it with samba-tool drs showrepl: you
>          should see that replication has started (for now only in one
>          direction) and works fine. To be sure I restarted samba on both
>          PDC and BDC.
>               I. it seems to me that at this point you can check the
>                  zones with samba-tool dns query on BDC. For me
>                  replication was partial so let me know if you see
>                  complete records or just names
>       4. DomainDnsZones from BDC to PDC
>       5. ForestDnsZones from BDC to PDC
>       6. wait for a while and check again with samba-tool drs showrepl
>          (I've restarted again samba on both DCs)
>
> If all works fine you can proceed with samba_upgradedns on BDC and see
> if private/dns partition is created than you can start bind on BDC.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniele.

Well, I finally got the replication to work, in a test virtual
environment, but like you, I had to manually start the replication of
the DomainDnsZones & the ForestDnsZones. Also, existing dns records are
not populated on the secondary DC, only new entries but I guess that
isn't a big deal.

Now to try on my real network :)

Cheers,
Mike.