Samba4 BDC with Samba4 PDC

Mike Howard mike at dewberryfields.co.uk
Thu Jun 14 06:16:59 MDT 2012

On 11/06/2012 15:59, Daniele Dario wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-06-11 at 13:00 +0100, Mike Howard wrote:
>> On 11/06/2012 10:46, Daniele Dario wrote:
>>> Hi Mike,
>>> it seems to me that basic replication is OK.
>>>
>>> As I said, when I got it working I manually started replication for DNS
>>> partitions:
>>>        1. DomainDnsZones from PDC to BDC
>>>        2. ForestDnsZones from PDC to BDC
>>>        3. wait for a while and check it with samba-tool drs showrepl: you
>>>           should see that replication has started (for now only in one
>>>           direction) and works fine. To be sure I restarted samba on both
>>>           PDC and BDC.
>>>                I. it seems to me that at this point you can check the
>>>                   zones with samba-tool dns query on BDC. For me
>>>                   replication was partial so let me know if you see
>>>                   complete records or just names
>>>        4. DomainDnsZones from BDC to PDC
>>>        5. ForestDnsZones from BDC to PDC
>>>        6. wait for a while and check again with samba-tool drs showrepl
>>>           (I've restarted again samba on both DCs)
>>>
>>> If all works fine you can proceed with samba_upgradedns on BDC and see
>>> if private/dns partition is created than you can start bind on BDC.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Daniele.
>>>
>> Well, I finally got the replication to work, in a test virtual
>> environment, but like you, I had to manually start the replication of
>> the DomainDnsZones&  the ForestDnsZones. Also, existing dns records are
>> not populated on the secondary DC, only new entries but I guess that
>> isn't a big deal.
>>
> For me it is: the problem is that if I shut down the PDC, BDC won't be
> able to update it's DNS zones because them need to be a full replica and
> not a partial one.
>
>  From what Amitay said, for a samba4 BDC in a W2kx environment, DNS zones
> are fully replicated while for me not.
>
> Please tell me if for you them are fully replicated and if shutting down
> PDC, BDC is still able to work (allow logins, dns updates and so on).

In my 'test' environment everything works as expected, except, as I
mentioned, any manually added static records that exist prior to the BDC
joining do not get replicated. New records, added by dhcpd etc, get
replicated without problem.

So, if I shutdown named and samba on the PDC, I'm still able to login
using the BDC and any new dns records are added to the BDC. This a test
environment and both servers are samba4.

Cheers,
Mike.

--
Michael Howard        mike at dewberryfields dot co dot uk
Lancashire