Samba 4 insufficientAccessRights when modifying Configuration

Brian C. Huffman bhuffman at etinternational.com
Mon Jul 30 08:45:13 MDT 2012

Ok.  I got the encryption figured out.

So, there are two things that ADSI does differently:

1) It appears in wireshark that ADSI does two modify requests (they look
like duplicates to me, but I could be wrong).

2) ADSI does a "replace" whereas the installer does an "add" (the 1st
entry "1,{08...}" was already there)
(ADSI):
             LDAPMessage modifyRequest(291)
"CN=user-Display,CN=C0A,CN=DisplaySpecifiers,CN=Configuration,DC=xmen,DC=eti"
                 messageID: 291
                 protocolOp: modifyRequest (6)
                     modifyRequest
                         object:
CN=user-Display,CN=C0A,CN=DisplaySpecifiers,CN=Configuration,DC=xmen,DC=eti
                         modification: 1 item
                             modification item
                                 operation: replace (2)
                                 modification adminContextMenu
                                     type: adminContextMenu
                                     vals: 2 items
1,{08eb4fa6-6ffd-11d1-b0e0-00c04fd8dca6}
2,{11330101-C4C8-11D6-B1DF-000476962053}

(Installer):
             LDAPMessage modifyRequest(25)
"CN=user-Display,CN=C0A,CN=DisplaySpecifiers,CN=Configuration,DC=xmen,DC=eti"
                 messageID: 25
                 protocolOp: modifyRequest (6)
                     modifyRequest
                         object:
CN=user-Display,CN=C0A,CN=DisplaySpecifiers,CN=Configuration,DC=xmen,DC=eti
                         modification: 1 item
                             modification item
                                 operation: add (0)
                                 modification adminContextMenu
                                     type: adminContextMenu
                                     vals: 1 item
2,{11330101-C4C8-11D6-B1DF-000476962053}

-b