Samba 4 insufficientAccessRights when modifying Configuration

Matthieu Patou mat at matws.net
Mon Jul 30 00:57:28 MDT 2012

On 07/27/2012 04:11 AM, Brian C. Huffman wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm getting the following (seen using wireshark):
> LDAPMessage modifyResponse(15) insufficientAccessRights (00002098:
> Object
> CN=group-Display,CN=407,CN=DisplaySpecifiers,CN=Configuration,DC=xmen,DC=eti
> has no write property access)
>
> when trying to modify the schema from a software installer.
>
> The installer is trying to add a value to adminContextMenu of
> "2,{11330101-C4C8-11D6-B1DF-000476962053}"
>
> If I try to do the same thing with ADSI, it appears to work.
> Unfortunately there are MANY such modifications the installer needs to
> do, so doing it manually would be extremely tedious.

If you are using the same user for both it should rule out any
unsufficient rights problem for administrator.

Then the next questions are:

* is there any specified control during the modify either by your
software or by ADSI ?
* are ADSI and your installer doing the exact same modification
* are you sure the installer runs with the administrator rights (it can
be a bug that leads it to use a non priviledged account)

Btw it seems that your installer has issue not with the schema but just
the configuration
> Is there a reason why the installer can't write but ADSI can?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
Matthieu.