Samba 4 and dhcp

Rowland Penny repenny at f2s.com
Sat Dec 29 04:48:31 MST 2012

On 29/12/12 09:37, Kai Blin wrote:
> On 2012-12-28 13:54, Rowland Penny wrote:
>
> Hi Rowland,
>
>> With the internal server, you get nothing.
> That's certainly not correct if you pick the correct log level.
I was talking about the standard log level i.e. log level not set in
smb.conf
> However, I'm myself a bit confused at what log level to pick for what
> level of output I want to log. And of course if you just use the
> catch-all level 10, you do get a lot of stuff apart from the DNS server,
> which makes it hard to spot the correct output.
er, if you are confused what log level to pick, someone who helped to
write Samba, what hope do I have as just a mere user ;-)
Also saying that you do get a lot of stuff is a slight understatement.

> Arguably even the log output given by the internal server isn't as
> detailed as the log output in bind.
No argument, using the standard log level gives you nothing from the
internal DNS server, whilst bind is pretty vocal.

>> Any way it is now working again.
> That's of course the most important part. :)
Yes, but I am still confused as to what happened during the upgrades
that caused it to stop working. I suppose the moral is, if you use dhcp
& samba 4, don't upgrade, do a fresh install.

> Cheers,
> Kai

Rowland

believed to be clean.