Releasing Samba 4.0 RC1?

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.hu
Sat Aug 18 15:38:02 MDT 2012

> On 18/08/12 19:48, Michael Wood wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> On 17 August 2012 23:52, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
>>> On Fri, 2012-08-17 at 13:46 -0300, Juan Pablo Lorier wrote:
>

>> I think it might help to make it extremely clear and explicit that
>> Samba 4 can be run as a DC using the samba binary, or it can be run
>> like a Samba 3 file/print server using the smbd/nmbd binaries, and any
>> other modes it can be used in.  I know the release notes try to do
>> this, but I think there's still a lot of confusion from users.
>>

> Hi
> OK. So I run:
> samba
> I then have AD and a decent fileserver which manifests itself as smbd
> in the logs. Both run on the same box. winbind seems to be running too.
>
> If I type:
> samba
> I get AD, a fileserver and winbind
> If I type:
> smbd
> I get just a fileserver.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Is that correct?
> 2. Is the smbd that is in /usr/local/samba/sbin the same smbd that
> ships with samba 3.6?
> 3. Wait, it can't be becasue I can't use my old S3 smb.conf with it
> because it doesn't understand stuff like create mask = 0700. What do
> the devs say?
>
> It may be clear to devs but to end users it seems very difficult to
> penetrate the technical barrier.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

For a samba4 AD controller you need to run samba.
For a samba3 style server (standalone or domain member) you would need
to run smbd and nmbd (+winbind if domain member). I'm not sure the smbd
binary which gets installed with a top level (waf based) build is
suitable for this kind of operation. But building smbd by running
./configure ; make ; make install from the source3 directory produces a
typical samba3 installation (except lot more advanced like support for
smb3 dialect etc.)

Regards

Geza Gemes