Releasing Samba 4.0 RC1?

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Sat Aug 18 12:16:15 MDT 2012

On 18/08/12 19:48, Michael Wood wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 17 August 2012 23:52, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2012-08-17 at 13:46 -0300, Juan Pablo Lorier wrote:

> I think it might help to make it extremely clear and explicit that
> Samba 4 can be run as a DC using the samba binary, or it can be run
> like a Samba 3 file/print server using the smbd/nmbd binaries, and any
> other modes it can be used in.  I know the release notes try to do
> this, but I think there's still a lot of confusion from users.

Hi
OK. So I run:
samba
I then have AD and a decent fileserver which manifests itself as smbd in
the logs. Both run on the same box. winbind seems to be running too.

If I type:
samba
I get AD, a fileserver and winbind
If I type:
smbd
I get just a fileserver.

Questions:
1. Is that correct?
2. Is the smbd that is in /usr/local/samba/sbin the same smbd that ships
with samba 3.6?
3. Wait, it can't be becasue I can't use my old S3 smb.conf with it
because it doesn't understand stuff like create mask = 0700. What do the
devs say?

It may be clear to devs but to end users it seems very difficult to
penetrate the technical barrier.

Thanks,
Steve