Releasing Samba 4.0 RC1?

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 11:48:52 MDT 2012

Hi

On 17 August 2012 23:52, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-08-17 at 13:46 -0300, Juan Pablo Lorier wrote:
>> Hi Andrew,
>
>> I deal with a lot of Microsoft lovers that often diminish the power of
>> open source software and Samba is a keystone for Unix/linux system to
>> stay strong in server environments and for gaining new desktops everyday
>> and I defend it as the great product it is, just don't want those guys
>> something to ground their critics.
>> Regards,
>
> G'day Juan Pablo,
>
> I understand your concern, and we may very well ship Samba 4.0 with a
> general caution on multi-DC use (also because we do not have a file
> systems replication protocol for sysvol yet).
>
> However, as you would have seen elsewhere in this thread, there is a
> cost to constantly calling this a beta:  network administrators who have
> tested Samba carefully and do have Samba 4.0 working very well for them
> are forced to argue why their networks should be trusted the beta
> software.  We know our code isn't perfect, but our automated testing
> also shows it is pretty good, and we also need to show some of the same
> confidence our users are already putting in it.
>
> We will not stop working to address the very real issues that do come
> up, but we should draw a line in the sand and say 'our users can
> confidently use this'.

I think it might help to make it extremely clear and explicit that
Samba 4 can be run as a DC using the samba binary, or it can be run
like a Samba 3 file/print server using the smbd/nmbd binaries, and any
other modes it can be used in.  I know the release notes try to do
this, but I think there's still a lot of confusion from users.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>