waf: Add possibility to build with system libwbclient/libsmbclient

Wed Apr 18 23:46:44 MDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 03:37:41PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> I know it's difficult, but with this (required) patch the hope of
> libwbclient being shared with s3 and s4 goes away.  Additionally, not
> only has the default path for where winbindd is changed, but the
> protocol has also changed - so a master libwbclient just isn't going to
> work for a 3.6 winbind, and likewise a 3.6 libwbclient won't work with a
> master winbind.

That's perfectly fine.

> Given all this, does using a system libwbclient ever make sense?  It
> certainly is important not to disrupt the things that are linked to the
> libwbclient on the system (login tools in particular), but the right way
> to do that is to make these libraries private where public use is not
> wanted.

libwbclient is designed to be an integral part of winbind.
It is *the* published interface to winbind. It was designed
to allow the likewise daemons to serve Samba, but it has
turned out to be a good wrapper around our crappy winbind
pipe protocol. The nss libraries are another one, but just
because nobody has yet converted them to use libwbclient.
Once that's done, changing the pipe protocol becomes much
easier.

So having libwbclient and winbind in separate RPMs is a
packaging bug.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de