waf: Add possibility to build with system libwbclient/libsmbclient

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Apr 18 23:37:41 MDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-04-19 at 11:14 +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 10:37 +0200, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> > On Wednesday 18 April 2012 18:08:13 you wrote:
> > > Andreas,
> >
> > Andrew,
> >
> > > Is there any chance you could give me that chance?  My work pattern
> > > gives me great flexibility for review, and in most cases it would be
> > > just seeing them by e-mail over the course of my working day would work.
> > > It shouldn't put you too far behind, and give me a good chance to
> > > provide feedback.
> >
> > that's why I contacted you yesterday. I thought you are more or less fine
> > cause you didn't say I should wait and you want to disuss this today. Sorry if
> > you did and I didn't recognize it.
> >
> > > The libwbclient build is a bit interesting it seems, as we have not had
> > > a proper version before.  However, Samba4-s3fs strictly depends on the
> > > version 0.8 in master (for IDMAP_BOTH support, I may need to bump the
> > > version to reflect my changes).  That is, it won't work with just any
> > > 'version 0' libwbclient.
> > >
> > > For my part, I'll update the version number in the libwbclient header,
> > > but the goal Simo shared with me of using the libwbclient from 3.6
> > > simply won't work.
> > >
> > > On libsmbclient, I wonder if we can find a less intrusive solution to
> > > your concerns.  I understand that you want to be able to build packages
> > > against master's libsmbclient, but then have the user install the 3.6
> > > libsmbclient, and not have the linking fail due to the upgrade to
> > > version symbols.  Is that the issue, or have I misunderstood it?  It
> > > seems a fairly niche use case, but perhaps I don't fully understand the
> > > combinations you propose to support.
> >
> > KDE, Gnome and other components link against libsmbclient and libwbclient.
> > This is for smb:// support or pam_winbind/winbind support in the login
> > managers.
>
> OK, this is an important use case.

I know it's difficult, but with this (required) patch the hope of
libwbclient being shared with s3 and s4 goes away.  Additionally, not
only has the default path for where winbindd is changed, but the
protocol has also changed - so a master libwbclient just isn't going to
work for a 3.6 winbind, and likewise a 3.6 libwbclient won't work with a
master winbind.

Given all this, does using a system libwbclient ever make sense?  It
certainly is important not to disrupt the things that are linked to the
libwbclient on the system (login tools in particular), but the right way
to do that is to make these libraries private where public use is not
wanted.

I therefore propose the attached patch, to allow you to force a 'public'
Samba lib to be private, so it won't need to be installed in the main
system namespace, and can just be like any other internal part of Samba.

Please let me know if you think this solves your issue,