ADS support

Pavel Herrmann morpheus.ibis at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 11:04:19 MDT 2012

Hi

On Wednesday 11 of April 2012 12:48:11 Aaron Endo wrote:
> This is the top level build..
>
> Here is my situation -- I'm running a cluster of 4 servers with samba4
> running on 1 primary server.. If failure it will failover to 2 ect..

AFAIK samba4 should not be used in failover clusters with heartbeat or similar
clustering technology. instead, you should use AD multi-master operation, in
which the servers are running in parallel, and clients choose one based on
their distance (in this setup, clients would choose one at random).

when one server fails the domain contines to operate normally, with the
exception of FSMO roles (which can be held by only one server at a time, in
case of complete failure they can be transferred forcibly, but in normal
operation you need both the original and target node to cooperate in FSMO
transfer).

the most visible FSMO is PDC emulator, which does authoritative authentication
(any auth rejected by non-PDC node is forwarded to PDC node before sending
reject to client), password changes and time sync. other FSMOs are used only
when adding objects (accounts, computers) to the domain

cheers
Pavel Herrmann