To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.org
Tue Nov 29 14:44:52 MST 2011

Hi Volker,

> To end this discussion, maybe we should admit that Samba 4.0
> will not be a valid successor to Samba 3.6.

I strongly disagree with this. What we have in master right now is a
superset of Samba 3.6, so saying it is not a valid successor is not
correct.

We have all of the capabilities of Samba 3.6, plus we have the
additional capability of being an AD DC. The fact that you start a
different daemon to be a AD DC and get different components is not
reason enough to abandon our efforts to unify the codebase.

> This probably also means doing the releases from different
> git branches, as we tend to step on each other's toes much
> too often.

We did that for years, and it was not good. Since moving to a single
branch and doing merge work to unify the code bases we have made a lot
of good progress which has benefitted all the roles of Samba. We now
have a lot more code in common than we did a year ago and we are making
steady progress towards a fully unified project.

The fact that we are not completely unified yet is not a reason to
abandon that effort. All we are trying to work out is release points,
and exactly what components must be unified for a given release name.

Cheers, Tridge