To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

Tue Nov 29 07:56:17 MST 2011

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 05:13:16PM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> I would like to propose that we proceed to making a pre-release of Samba
> 4.0 in the next month (ie, before Christmas), and that we propose to
> release Samba 4.0 'as is' regarding major features.

To end this discussion, maybe we should admit that Samba 4.0
will not be a valid successor to Samba 3.6.

Samba4 will be released on its own schedule, and Samba3 will
continue to do its own releases. 3.7, 3.8, 3.9 (and yes,
3.10 is also available) and so on. We have countably
infinite numbers to choose from. 3.x will be supported by
the existing team doing the 3.x releases now, Samba4 will
get its completely own schedule, release manager and so on.

This probably also means doing the releases from different
git branches, as we tend to step on each other's toes much
too often. We then have the freedom to carefully pick common
components, every team can choose which of the other team's
achievements fit the plans.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de