To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Tue Nov 29 16:43:59 MST 2011

Hi,

I agree with Tridge in that IMHO, your proposal is counterproductive.
We have been working towards a more shared codebase, and we have
been thinking and discussing a common/combined release since some
time now. No one said that it would be easy.  There are different
interests and people have different opinions, some have strong
opinions and even emotions about their components and approaches.
This does not make things especially easy at times, but I think
it is very, very worthwile to pursue the goal of a common release
stream and increasingly common code base.

We should not give up the common ground we have covered.
In the end we all want to continue improving Samba, we
should not forget that. :-)

Now we have reached the point where we are for the first time
seriously talking about releasing a 4.0 soonish. This means that
we need to agree on a couple of things.

We have agreed in the past that the samba3 smbd file server
should eventually be the file server in the 4.0 release.
(If this is the default, then I think it should not be a problem
to also keep the s4 fileserver part (at least for a while) so that
it can be enabled if desired.)

We still need some discussion about winbindd, I guess.

The major points that need clarification is how the plumbing
between the components should work, technically.

Cheers - Michael