To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed Nov 23 19:02:50 MST 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 06:15:12PM -0500, simo wrote:

> We will work out a more extensive list of things.
>
> Now Thanksgiving is looming, I am not sure i will have time to reply
> further before Monday or Tuesday (depending on the mountain of email
> waiting for me on the other end of the Holiday).
>
> I guess the same may be for other members living in the USA.

+1 for this - I'll be (mostly) off the 'net until Monday.

I had a long chat with Lars today and he pointed out that
my initial reaction was rather too negative (thanks for
that Lars :-). So I think the right thing to do is to
get the release TODO list together and start working on
the technical challenges to get 4.0 into a state where
we're all happy to ship.

I still think there's a lot to be done, but the best
thing to do is to work out what those things are, rather
than ignoring them :-).

I do want to point out that Matthieu tried to do this
right after the SNIA conference and didn't get much
traction (sorry Matthieu), hopefully people will
respond a little better this time.

Jeremy.