To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

simo idra at samba.org
Wed Nov 23 16:15:12 MST 2011

On Thu, 2011-11-24 at 09:47 +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-11-23 at 16:26 -0500, simo wrote:
> > >
> > > +1
> > >
> > > As a mere user the lack of packaging is an awful nuisance;  and as
> > > long as it isn't 'released' the packaging is always going to be
> > > sub-part and the 'support' [as far as distributions go] is going to be
> > > second-class.  Since Samba is a big name a release will get a lot of
> > > attention and playing nicely with Bind, NTP, and other packages will
> > > become a priority - making using Samba4 much easier.
> >

> > Packaging is currently one of the reason we *should* not release.
> >
> > The current trees are still quite a mess, and adapting packages has been
> > hard and we found a ton of bugs already. More are to come as we explore
> > what does not work. Until all the duplication and stupid names like
> > smbclient3 vs smbclient are resolved the current build is in no way
> > production level shippable matter.
>
> Simo,
>
> I know you have had some challenges with packaging Samba4 in the past.
> I'm sorry you got caught needing the package the release between when I
> reworked our configure options, and when Metze reworked them more
> comprehensibly.   Do you have any specific issues that remain?
>
> I know we need to flip the names of the smbclient{,3} and ntlm_auth{,3}
> binaries, but is there anything else?
>
> It is exactly this kind of issue I would like to focus on over the next
> few months.

We will work out a more extensive list of things.

Now Thanksgiving is looming, I am not sure i will have time to reply
further before Monday or Tuesday (depending on the mountain of email
waiting for me on the other end of the Holiday).

I guess the same may be for other members living in the USA.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce