To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Nov 23 13:55:16 MST 2011

On Wed, 2011-11-23 at 17:55 +0100, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 November 2011 14:24:51 Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > If you think this will still be confusing, can you help me understand
> > that confusion in more detail?  I would like to see how I can address
> > it.
>
> Hi Andrew,
>
> I'm speaking here with my Samba and my Red Hat on.
>
> -1 to release 'as is'
>
> There are some requirements which need to be fixed before we can really
> release Samba 4. Here is a list of things which need to be fixed first:
>
> * Samba 4 needs to be able to link against MIT Kerberos. This is a requriement
>   to be shipped with Enterprise distributions. OpenLDAP and CUPS and other
>   libraries are linked against MIT Kerberos. It isn't possible to mix this
>   with heimdal.

In what way is this not possible?  Can you give me some concrete
details, as we spent a lot of time working on the symbol versions to
deal with exactly this issue.

I run full time on Fedora, and I have seen none issues here, so I would
like to understand your concerns.

Regardless of the technical issues, if Red Hat wishes to propose patches
for this, I remain happy to review them.  You may recall I spent many
months working with Don Davis at Red Hat on exactly this issue.

> * waf needs to support all configure checks which the Samba3 autoconf
>   provides. There are still options and defines missing.
>
> * Linking of shared libraries in Samba4 needs to be fixed. For example take a
>   look at libpdb: 'ldd bin/default/source3/libpdb.so' why is it linked to all
>   heimdal libraries? http://pastebin.com/8aM8tx8q
>
> * We need a plan how to integrate smbd in Samba 4. (Multiple daemons are
>   preferred over a single bloated binary).

At 214kb, I do not see 'samba' and bloated.  Can you explain your
concern some more?

> If there is none, then I think
>   distribution will ship smbd as 4.0 and might ship AD as an unsupported
>   package.

If you wish to do so, that is your choice.

> * We need a working (and tested) migration from existing installations to
>   Samba 4.

As per the mail elsewhere in the thread from Ricky, the migration code
is now working for folks.  It is new code, and will still need more
help, but it is exactly this kind of thing that I was hoping to focus on
between now and a release.

> * The autoconf-only build needs fixing (Volker reports broken).
>
> * Replace source4 winbindd with source3 winbindd.
>
> * Replace source4 smbclient with source3 smbclient (we need to investigate if
>   there are more and get them working correctly)

This much is a simple rename.