To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.org
Wed Nov 23 14:44:39 MST 2011

Hi Andreas,

> * Samba 4 needs to be able to link against MIT Kerberos. This is a requriement
>   to be shipped with Enterprise distributions. OpenLDAP and CUPS and other
>   libraries are linked against MIT Kerberos. It isn't possible to mix this
>   with heimdal.

It is perfectly possible to mix these, as the symbol versions are
different. We have been running with samba linked to both for a long
time.

As to the base idea that it is a requirement for enterprise distros that
we must use MIT kerberos, I'd ask those enterprise distros to put some
work in and propose patches. The idea of blocking Samba 4.0 because of
the political needs of the enterprise distros is not something I like at
all.

> * waf needs to support all configure checks which the Samba3 autoconf
>   provides. There are still options and defines missing.

could you provide a list and say why they are needed?

We have certainly changed configure options in the past between
releases, so we'd want to know why they are essential, not just that
they are different

> * Linking of shared libraries in Samba4 needs to be fixed. For example take a
>   look at libpdb: 'ldd bin/default/source3/libpdb.so' why is it linked to all
>   heimdal libraries? http://pastebin.com/8aM8tx8q

it probably doesn't need to link to them, although I think it's rather
strange to have this in a list of things blocking a release, as it is
cosmetic. All of the Samba 3.x releases have been broken in much worse
ways with regard to shared libraries (for example, lack of symbol
versions in public libraries).

> * We need a plan how to integrate smbd in Samba 4. (Multiple daemons are
>   preferred over a single bloated binary).

bloated? The samba binary is 48x smaller than smbd from the current
Samba3 releases. Heck, just nmbd from Samba3 is 18x as big as the samba
binary in master.

-rwxr-xr-x 1 tridge users 11185707 2011-11-23 22:16 bin/smbd
-rwxr-xr-x 1 tridge users  8829263 2011-11-23 22:16 bin/winbindd
-rwxr-xr-x 1 tridge users  4191583 2011-11-23 22:16 bin/nmbd
-rwxr-xr-x 1 tridge users   229693 2011-11-23 15:41 bin/default/source4/smbd/samba

> If there is none, then I think distribution will ship smbd as 4.0 and
> might ship AD as an unsupported package.

we have a way of doing this, see the s3fs-wip branch in the either mine
or andrews git repos. That integrates the s3 file server into samba,
while still leaving smbd to run separately if the user prefers that.

> * We need a working (and tested) migration from existing installations to
>   Samba 4.

this falls into two categories:

 - migration of file/print servers. The easiest answer is for users to
   just use smbd/nmbd. If we want to move them onto onto the single
   samba binary then see the s3fs-wip branch

 - migration of s3 DCs to AD. See the migration script that Amitay and
   Andrew developed, which has been successfully used on real sites.

> * The autoconf-only build needs fixing (Volker reports broken).

then Volker or someone else can fix it.

> * Replace source4 winbindd with source3 winbindd.

why? I'll follow up in a separate email as to why the functionality
provided by winbind needs to be very different when you are an AD DC
compared to when you are a member server.

> * Replace source4 smbclient with source3 smbclient (we need to investigate if
>   there are more and get them working correctly)

not a big thing to do - just a rename in wscript_build.

Cheers, Tridge