To release Samba 4.0 'as is'
asn at samba.org
Wed Nov 23 09:55:04 MST 2011
On Wednesday 23 November 2011 14:24:51 Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> If you think this will still be confusing, can you help me understand
> that confusion in more detail? I would like to see how I can address
I'm speaking here with my Samba and my Red Hat on.
-1 to release 'as is'
There are some requirements which need to be fixed before we can really
release Samba 4. Here is a list of things which need to be fixed first:
* Samba 4 needs to be able to link against MIT Kerberos. This is a requriement
to be shipped with Enterprise distributions. OpenLDAP and CUPS and other
libraries are linked against MIT Kerberos. It isn't possible to mix this
* waf needs to support all configure checks which the Samba3 autoconf
provides. There are still options and defines missing.
* Linking of shared libraries in Samba4 needs to be fixed. For example take a
look at libpdb: 'ldd bin/default/source3/libpdb.so' why is it linked to all
heimdal libraries? http://pastebin.com/8aM8tx8q
* We need a plan how to integrate smbd in Samba 4. (Multiple daemons are
preferred over a single bloated binary). If there is none, then I think
distribution will ship smbd as 4.0 and might ship AD as an unsupported
* We need a working (and tested) migration from existing installations to
* The autoconf-only build needs fixing (Volker reports broken).
* Replace source4 winbindd with source3 winbindd.
* Replace source4 smbclient with source3 smbclient (we need to investigate if
there are more and get them working correctly)
Andreas Schneider GPG-ID: F33E3FC6
Samba Team asn at samba.org
More information about the samba-technical