To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Nov 22 20:24:51 MST 2011

On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 20:38 -0600, John H Terpstra wrote:
>  The moment Samba4 is released our users
> expect it to replace Samba3 entirely.

I totally agree that our users expect Samba 4.0 to replace Samba 3.x.
That is why every component of Samba 3.x continues to be provided.

The only change for a user of Samba 3.x will see is that some additional
commands are available, and those commands can be used to build an AD
DC.

Additionally, many commands that are based around the passdb layer also
work against the AD database, so smbpasswd et al will just work.

If you think this will still be confusing, can you help me understand
that confusion in more detail?  I would like to see how I can address
it.

Thanks,