To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Nov 23 09:56:59 MST 2011

Quoting Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>:
>> However, as someone using Samba 4 in production (authentication for proxy-,
>> file- and mailservers, domain controller, mail routing) I would like
>> something distributions can build on. Personally I don't care about fs
>> support in Samba 4, every serious organization can devote a seperate
>> computer/server to it.
>> For me I'd rather see monthly or bi-monthly packages in an Ubuntu PPA than
>> an early Samba 4 release. Or maybe just some good guidance on how to
>> package Samba 4 so people have something to start with.
> One of the key reasons I wish to release Samba 4.0 is because so many
> users are using it.  Our users should not have to find 'Samba4' in a
> Ubuntu PPA just to get our AD DC on their distribution.
> As a practical matter in the short term, once we get the bind9_dlz
> changes in, I'll see about spinning another alpha to make it easier to
> package.

+1

As a mere user the lack of packaging is an awful nuisance;  and as
long as it isn't 'released' the packaging is always going to be
sub-part and the 'support' [as far as distributions go] is going to be
second-class.  Since Samba is a big name a release will get a lot of
attention and playing nicely with Bind, NTP, and other packages will
become a priority - making using Samba4 much easier.