To release Samba 4.0 'as is'

simo idra at samba.org
Wed Nov 23 14:26:18 MST 2011

On Wed, 2011-11-23 at 11:56 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> Quoting Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>:
> >> However, as someone using Samba 4 in production (authentication for proxy-,
> >> file- and mailservers, domain controller, mail routing) I would like
> >> something distributions can build on. Personally I don't care about fs
> >> support in Samba 4, every serious organization can devote a seperate
> >> computer/server to it.
> >> For me I'd rather see monthly or bi-monthly packages in an Ubuntu PPA than
> >> an early Samba 4 release. Or maybe just some good guidance on how to
> >> package Samba 4 so people have something to start with.
> > One of the key reasons I wish to release Samba 4.0 is because so many
> > users are using it.  Our users should not have to find 'Samba4' in a
> > Ubuntu PPA just to get our AD DC on their distribution.
> > As a practical matter in the short term, once we get the bind9_dlz
> > changes in, I'll see about spinning another alpha to make it easier to
> > package.
>
> +1
>
> As a mere user the lack of packaging is an awful nuisance;  and as
> long as it isn't 'released' the packaging is always going to be
> sub-part and the 'support' [as far as distributions go] is going to be
> second-class.  Since Samba is a big name a release will get a lot of
> attention and playing nicely with Bind, NTP, and other packages will
> become a priority - making using Samba4 much easier.

Packaging is currently one of the reason we *should* not release.

The current trees are still quite a mess, and adapting packages has been
hard and we found a ton of bugs already. More are to come as we explore
what does not work. Until all the duplication and stupid names like
smbclient3 vs smbclient are resolved the current build is in no way
production level shippable matter.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce