problem mapping network drive

Kenneth Watanabe watana43 at unlv.nevada.edu
Tue Jun 28 10:58:31 MDT 2011

To Samba Guru,
I installed samba, edited the /etc/samba/smb.conf file with the following
For security purposes lets assume the IP address on my server is
123.456.78.90.

[share]
path = /home/test1
valid users = test1
read only = no
guest ok = yes

I tested the smb.conf file via the command "testparm /etc/samba/smb.conf"
and there were no errors.

Logged in as root and restarted samba via the following commands
# service smb restart
# service nmb restart

When I type the following command I seem to be able to connect
$ smbclient //123.456.78.90/test1
Enter test1's password
Domain=[HOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.5.8-75.fc13]
smb: \>

>From the DOS command line on my PC I can ping my server successfully

When I try mapping a network drive I get the following error (Note: The
example below does not use the real the IP address)

C:> net use m: \\123.456.78.90\test1
System error 53 has occurred.
The network path was not found.

Please help