Remove parameters 'announce as' and 'announce version' in 4.0?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Jun 23 04:13:33 MDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-06-21 at 07:01 -0500, John H Terpstra wrote:
> On 06/21/2011 12:37 AM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > I'm back on my 'do we need these parameters' binge as I look to simplify
> > loadparm before I merge the implementations.
>
> It is a good thing to remove legacy parameters that are no longer needed
> or that are pseudonyms.  In the end they add to parameter bloat and user
> confusion - the opposite of what we intended!

Thanks, I've pushed these to autobuild.

> > This time in my sights is 'announce as' and 'announce version'.  In the
> > attached patches, these are simply hard-coded into their current
> > values.
>
> I m unaware of any use of these parameters since Windows 2000 was
> released.  Pre-Windows 2000 there were a few network monitoring tools
> that reported the protocol version number.  I believe we can safely
> remove these parameters now but would check with Chris Hertel in case he
> knows of any risk of breakage.

Chris,

I've talked to tridge, who OK'ed the change, but do you know of any
other historical details about the announce version that I should be
aware of?

It seems to me that this kind of broadcast based version monitoring has
been replaced by things like the operatingSystemVersion in the machine's
AD record.