Remove parameters 'announce as' and 'announce version' in 4.0?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Jun 21 06:01:40 MDT 2011

On 06/21/2011 12:37 AM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> I'm back on my 'do we need these parameters' binge as I look to simplify
> loadparm before I merge the implementations.

It is a good thing to remove legacy parameters that are no longer needed
or that are pseudonyms.  In the end they add to parameter bloat and user
confusion - the opposite of what we intended!

> This time in my sights is 'announce as' and 'announce version'.  In the
> attached patches, these are simply hard-coded into their current
> values.

I m unaware of any use of these parameters since Windows 2000 was
released.  Pre-Windows 2000 there were a few network monitoring tools
that reported the protocol version number.  I believe we can safely
remove these parameters now but would check with Chris Hertel in case he
knows of any risk of breakage.

> Note, it's too late for changes for 3.6, so unless folks suggest
> otherwise, I don't propose to put a deprecation warning about these into
> 3.6.
>
> Any thoughts?

Agreed.

> Andrew Bartlett