Samba4 and Bind on separate servers

pedro1295 petercwilson at sky.com
Tue Jun 21 02:10:59 MDT 2011

Hello experts!

I've had a look around your list and on google and cannot find an answer to
this question.  Apologies if it has already been asked though.

I have successfully built Samba4 4.0.0.0 Alpha 15 on Ubuntu 10.10. x86_32. I
am currently using Bind 9.7.3 with Kernel 2.6.31 (generic)

I am now at the point of provisioning and realise that Windows servers
typically hold DNS and AD on the same box.

Does Samba4 need DNS to be running on the same server or can I get away with
DNS being on a separate server?

Thanks a lot.

Pedro