Move var/locks/.nmbd to var/nmbd for 3.6.0?

simo idra at samba.org
Tue Jun 14 05:59:10 MDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 07:46 +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 03:31:23PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > Additionally I've also added a patch to move the PREFIX/var/locks/.nmbd
> > socket directory to PREFIX/var/nmbd
>
> Why this change? We have /tmp/.winbindd, which I modeled
> this after. Can you give me a reason what functionality a
> name ".nmbd" breaks? And, by the way, this name went in
> months ago, and it seems to work fine.

FWIW /tmp/.winbindd is problematic and is going to hurt Samba as soon as
distributions will start using named spaces for /tmp so each user has a
different, personal directory.

In Fedora/RHEL we moved the winbindd directory to /var/run/winbindd ages
ago, but it may make sense to do that upstream now that there are
announcements of distribution features that will end up causing issues
for manually compiled trees too.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce