Move var/locks/.nmbd to var/nmbd for 3.6.0?

Tue Jun 14 06:06:50 MDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 07:59:10AM -0400, simo wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 07:46 +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 03:31:23PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > > Additionally I've also added a patch to move the PREFIX/var/locks/.nmbd
> > > socket directory to PREFIX/var/nmbd
> >
> > Why this change? We have /tmp/.winbindd, which I modeled
> > this after. Can you give me a reason what functionality a
> > name ".nmbd" breaks? And, by the way, this name went in
> > months ago, and it seems to work fine.
>
> FWIW /tmp/.winbindd is problematic and is going to hurt Samba as soon as
> distributions will start using named spaces for /tmp so each user has a
> different, personal directory.

Wait -- /tmp per user? I would guess that Samba is not the
only program that will severely suffer here. If everybody
gets his own private directory tree, I think we must make
winbind listen on TCP. But then you could also add network
namespaces, multiple 127.0.0.1.

Simo, what is the standard way these days to offer services
on a Linux system? DBUS?

Volker