Samba 4 Success but password change problem

Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer mdw at samba.org
Tue Nov 16 10:44:37 MST 2010

Hi Brian,

Brian C. Huffman wrote:
> First I want to say great work and thanks for such an impressive piece
> of work that is samba4.
>
> I've got a13 setup and running and have a vista pro VM joined to the
> domain.  I've been able to create new users via the MMC plugin and I'm
> able to login as that user.  However, when I try to change the
> password on the newly created user via Windows, it won't allow me
> saying "Unable to update the password.  The value provided for the new
> password does not meet length, complexity, or history requirements of
> the domain."
You mean you aren't able to switch on the complexity checks? Then please
read the next paragraph.
> I've tried turning off the default GPO for domain.  I've turned off
> complexity.  And I've tried different passwords that should meet all
> the requirements, but no luck.
Probably you still aren't aware of the fact that we don't check for the
GPO restrictions yet. In order to modify password settings you have to
use the "samba-tool pwsettings" command on the s4 side or manually edit
the "pwdProperties" attribute on the domain basedn.
> On the other hand, changing the password through windows worked fine
> for the domain administrator account.

Greets,
Matthias