Moving database, permissons.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon May 3 23:04:28 MDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 23:03 +0200, Anton Löthman wrote:
> Hello
> I have a quite old s4 running on a old machine that i want to move to a newer machine. I also have some folders on the same machine that is shared beetween a couple of windows user.
> The thing is that the user both have home directories and a directory where they share stuff. So i want to import the AD tree from the old machine and keeping the right permissons on the files.
> Where are all the settings stored, is it "sam.ldb.d" ?

sam.ldb.d and sam.ldb contain all the user information - it's the whole
AD tree.

You should get all of private and the smb.conf in etc/ at least - best
to copy the whole prefix if you can - so you get things like idmap etc.

But more of a worry is the rest of the files on disk.  Make sure that
whatever migration tool you use keeps the xattrs on each file intact.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.