[RFC] Get rid of --enable-merged ?

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Mon May 3 17:54:07 MDT 2010

I would've appreciated if you could've objected here first before simply
reverting my commit...

On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 18:13 +0200, Guenther Deschner wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 01:58:30PM +0100, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> > The merged build that we introduced as part of the Franky effort was an
> > interesting idea but I wonder if we should get rid of it.
> No, no way. The broken and ugly it is sometimes, the current way of how
> test driven development and all work on the merged/shared codebase in
> Samba is going, we (or at least I) *absolutely* need the ability to build
> smbtorture4 right from source3.

> Once we have a better replacement using waf around, we can get rid of it,
> I think. If someone really is too annoyed by it being enabled by default
> for all devel builds, we can disable it by default maybe.
It makes working on common code quite annoying because it tends to break
while the individual builds work and vice versa. That will only get
worse now that we've switched over to using waf by default in Samba 4;
the old .mk-system will probably regress quickly now everybody and the
build system have switched over.

Alternatively, would just having a bin/smbtorture4 rule in Samba 3's
Makefile that invokes waf perhaps be sufficient to address your needs?

Cheers,

Jelmer