S3 plain text to encrypted password transition

simo idra at samba.org
Wed Jul 28 09:29:39 MDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 17:22 +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 05:18:45PM +0200, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> > smbpasswd file to a hashed password. The code is really old and the comment
> > from 2001 says:
> >
> > 	This ugly hack needs to die, but not quite yet, I think
> > people still
> > 	use it.
> >
> > So, is there still someone using the "update
> > encrypted" option or can we get rid of it after 9 years?
>
> I don't think we are in the position to remove
> functionality. We have wanted to kill security=share ages
> ago. NACKed. I had asked to remove idmap_adex, important
> customers are using it. NACKed. I think the time to remove
> stuff is just long gone.

No client allows the use of plain text password anymore and has been
that way for ages now.

The other 2 features you mention are completely different as they are
useful today, with today's clients.

I wouldn't be so hasty with nacking.

It is a feature I do not see any user of since win9x went away long ago
(and win9x already made it difficult to use plain text passwords anyway
IIRC).

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce