S3 plain text to encrypted password transition

Wed Jul 28 09:41:19 MDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:29:39AM -0400, simo wrote:
> No client allows the use of plain text password anymore and has been
> that way for ages now.

Oh, smbclient does, and iirc you can still modify modern
Windows clients to use plain text passwords.

> The other 2 features you mention are completely different as they are
> useful today, with today's clients.

Well, I've seen very strange behaviour with modern Windows
clients against security=share servers. So it really depends
on the notion of "useful today".

> I wouldn't be so hasty with nacking.
>
> It is a feature I do not see any user of since win9x went away long ago
> (and win9x already made it difficult to use plain text passwords anyway
> IIRC).

I just know that when I accidentially broke Win98 support
for 3.4.0 (I think) bugzilla saw 4 bug reports about that
within VERY few weeks. I also have a customer who after an
upgrade called us in complete agony because his production
boxes running the DOS redirector did not work anymore,
because "lanman auth" had been turned off by default. This
was less than 6 months ago.

What is it that in the last weeks people want to cut off old
features? James needs to modify smbtorture not to use the
old calls anymore, you need to remove the plain text upgrade
thing. Is there something going on behind the scenes that I
just did not notice?

Volker