S3 plain text to encrypted password transition

Wed Jul 28 09:22:51 MDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 05:18:45PM +0200, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> smbpasswd file to a hashed password. The code is really old and the comment
> from 2001 says:
>
> 	This ugly hack needs to die, but not quite yet, I think
> people still
> 	use it.
>
> So, is there still someone using the "update
> encrypted" option or can we get rid of it after 9 years?

I don't think we are in the position to remove
functionality. We have wanted to kill security=share ages
ago. NACKed. I had asked to remove idmap_adex, important
customers are using it. NACKed. I think the time to remove
stuff is just long gone.

Volker